Monday 28 November 2011

Christmas Crafting

This year I thought I'd try and get the kids involved in more of the Christmas build up than before and so I felt a bit of Christmas crafting was in order. This began with a casual comment by a friend about homemade wrapping paper and was then spurred on by a few ideas on pinterest.

Firstly we made the wrapping paper. In my mind I saw brown paper with neat red and green hand and foot prints scattered artistically.........in reality the kids went a bit crazy with the paint and then got realised they could paint themselves instead! I finished up with some interesting wrapping paper and two very green children!
The second crafting effort involved Christmas cards which I did with Oliver, again using hand and footprints. These turned out much better than the wrapping paper.
I still need to do some with Zoe in the next week or so.

Finally, Christmas decorations. I did this last year with Oliver & a friend and recalled it being fairly easy and not too traumatic, I was however living in a hot country at the time and so all crafting was done outdoors, in door crafting tends to be slightly less relaxing.
A friend made the salt dough as she was doing some for her kids anyway so all my two had to do was cut out some Christmas shapes. As an added bonus i let them stick beads into the shapes although this turned out to be a bit of a waste of time when it came to the painting stage - the kids enjoyed doing it though.


and the final result.....
Zoe's
 Oliver's
It took me a while to persuade Oliver that his decorations didn't need to all be brown and some of them are only painted on one side but all in all it was a success - and Zoe only ate a bit of dough, a few beads and a small amount of paint!

Now lets hope the recipients are grateful - what teacher/creche worker wouldn't like to receive a badly painted star at Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment